At Elk Cove, we consider ourselves stewards of the land we manage. Our sustainability practices start in our vineyards, then continue to our winery and the broader community.
In the Vineyard
- Salmon Safe certified vineyards
- Cover Crops instead of synthetic fertilizers (Clover for nitrogen, Grass to prevent erosion)
- Goats to control noxious weeds. They love Himalayan blackberries!
- Biodiesel in all tractors, utility vehicles, and trucks
- OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) certified sprays only
- Irrigation only used in the first 3 years of growth
- Healthcare, a living wage, and paid vacation for full-time vineyard employees
In the Winery
- Water and lees flow back to vineyard, not to streams
- Hot water cleaning for most purposes to avoid over-use of solvents
- Solar panels offset 30-40% of energy usage
- We recycle glass, cardboard, batteries as well as all shipping materials from our bottle suppliers.
- Recycled cardboard for shipping wine. No polystyrene!
- Eco-Glass for over 50% of our bottles.
- Electric car charger free to our customers on a first-come first served basis. (CS-100 Clipper Creek 70/80 amps, J1772 universal plug)
We believe that sustainability goes beyond our own acreage, so we contribute to several non-profits benefitting our community and our environment.